Greetings LC forum

Chester50

đź“› Founding Member
Jan 7, 2024
Wisconsin
Long time LC fan, but never quite got to owning one. Even if the price of the 200 series or a used 100 was doable, the fuel economy was always a turn off. High hopes for the 250 series letting me get a taste of the LC heritage. Currently using my Jeep gladiator as an overland vehicle (never had a truck before). Probably a couple of years away from an LC purchase, but still fun to read all about them and learn from other members. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum Chester 50! The way things are going, if one ordered a LC today, sadly it may be approaching a couple of years to get one. A world vehicle, and they are selling like hotcakes across the planet. I am back to considering a 2024 Tacoma Limited.

Welcome to the forum @Chester50 🍻 What kind of fuel mileage have you been getting in the gladiator? What size tires are you running?

I have upgraded the stock “AT” tires to 33 inch cooper discovery tires. Getting about 19 mpg in mixed driving. It’s a manual transmission, which is what I wanted. Looked at a getting a Taco also, but the Toyota’s policy of not allowing direct order/build to spec was very hard to stomach. Jeep let me order exactly the specs I wanted and it was 8% under invoice pricing in 2022. Took about 2 months to build, but I got exactly what I wanted.

Absolutely agreed, Toyota's policy of no direct orders is frustrating, to say the least. Profitability for the stockholders/executives, and arrogance. This said, Toyota quality/reliability has me hooked. Will probably be ordering a Taco Limited tomorrow, as at 82, heck, I might be deceased before a LC would arrive.

My 2007 Prius has been very reliable for me as well. I did have to replace the main hybrid battery due to a bad cell, so my fuel savings went to pay for that swap, but otherwise it’s been super solid. I know the hybrid system in the LC will be different, but the way Prius implements it with regen braking, I am still on my original brake pads at 170k miles. And for some reason the fact that the 12v battery only closes a relay allowing the main traction battery to start the engine has also resulted in only one 12v battery replacement since new.

My 2007 Prius has been very reliable for me as well. I did have to replace the main hybrid battery due to a bad cell, so my fuel savings went to pay for that swap, but otherwise it’s been super solid. I know the hybrid system in the LC will be different, but the way Prius implements it with regen braking, I am still on my original brake pads at 170k miles. And for some reason the fact that the 12v battery only closes a relay allowing the main traction battery to start the engine has also resulted in only one 12v battery replacement since new.
This brings up a question/point. From what I can gather, repairing a hybrid battery assembly, or replacing with a "rebuilt/refurbished" unit of which bad/weak cells have been replaced, is ill-advised. Entirely a completely new assembly, or from a recent totaled vehicle is what I see recommended. That is, all the batteries age at the same rate, so the "balance" is not correct if only select cells are replaced.

I got the same advice from the shop that did the battery replacement. It was a small independent hybrid-focused outfit in Madison Wi. He offered to try and replace the one bad module, but was warning that it often turns into a game of whack-a-mole with the other cells. It made sense to swap the entire battery out for another. It was $3k bill 8 years ago (I was unlucky in that my hybrid battery developed that issue at only 120k miles). It’s been flawless since then.

Latest Discussions

Back