Excellent video explaining the 4WD system in the Land Cruisers

While I understood what he was saying, I still wish you could disengage the front hubs.

While I understood what he was saying, I still wish you could disengage the front hubs.
As do I. This would decrease friction, and extend the lifespan of those components. Trouble is, the vast majority of folks wish convenience. I also wish for the transfer cases of the past, such as the NP205, which used internal gears, not a chain. And, with a cast iron case, as compared to today's thin-walled aluminum, they were virtually indestructible.

Exactly, They sell a hub conversion kit for the Older Tacoma, so maybe someone will make one for the LC

Exactly, They sell a hub conversion kit for the Older Tacoma, so maybe someone will make one for the LC
I suspect even with a hub conversion kit, the chain in the transfer case will still be moving? This is why, on our past-owned 4Runner, I went to a fully synthetic gear lube for the transfer case. Cheap insurance.

I agree the chain, drive shaft and differential will always be in motion, but there won't be any torque. now the questions is........ will this actually help hub parts longevity or improve MPG.

It kind of defeats the purpose of Full Time 4wd

Kind of don't need full time 4WD on dry paved roads............

Last edited:
Kind of don't need full time 4WD on dry paved roads............
There are plenty of part time 4wd vehicles out there for you then.........................

There are plenty of part time 4wd vehicles out there for you then.........................
That really doesn't work, as in the winter one needs full-time 4WD to maintain control on suddenly appearing slippery spots, and still be able to exceed 55 MPH, which is the maximum recommended for the part-time systems.

Yeah, I understand the advantages of full time. It's why I want a cruiser 🙂. I just don't see the benefit of disengaging the hubs on a full time vehicle for the negligible part wear. Other items on the vehicle are going to have issues way before the driveline parts just from 4WD engaged.

FWIW the Bronco does have a system that I believe leaves it in 2wd until it detects slippings and switches to full-time 4wd. I'd rather just be in 4wd full time, all the time, but it seems other systems do exist. I'm not sure if that's exactly how it works, I've just seen it on my father's Bronco.

Last edited:
Yep (I own several) and I choose this one, I dare say nobody that buys the LC will always be in the dirt, snow or mud and many, many miles will be on dry pavement where full time 4WD will be required. It's not a requirement that you like or dislike my choices.

Yep (I own several) and I choose this one, I dare say nobody that buys the LC will always be in the dirt, snow or mud and many, many miles will be on dry pavement where full time 4WD will be required. It's not a requirement that you like or dislike my choices.
I don't understand why you opened with hostility to my initial comment. I wasn't "liking or disliking" your choices. I was just making conversation on an internet forum. Your choice is irrelevant as this vehicle doesn't have locking hubs regardless.

For the sake of continuing this thread without getting hostile over things that don't matter, the full time 4wd system is the main marketing point for cruisers. In the video in the OP he points out that there is no MPG difference between 4runners with part time and full time systems. I've loved his explanations since before I was an engineer, and this video was no exception.

FWIW the Bronco does have a system that I believe leaves it in 2wd until it detects slippings and switches to full-time 4wd. I'd rather just be in 4wd full time, all the time, but it seems other systems do exist. I'm not sure if that's exactly how it works, I've just seen it on my father's Bronco.
Is the 4WD system in the Bronco a clutched affair? Have read where they (clutched 4WD systems) tend to overheat under some operating conditions. Give me a Torsen!

Is the 4WD system in the Bronco a clutched affair? Have read where they (clutched 4WD systems) tend to overheat under some operating conditions. Give me a Torsen!
I have no idea to be honest. I just thought it was neat when he told me about it. I could see that being the case with a clutched system for sure though! It doesn't have a Toyota/Lexus badge so it was never on my radar 🤣

Back