Dealer Deposits?

Skidaddl

πŸ“› Founding Member
Sep 7, 2023
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hello, I'm brand new here and came to see if I could find out what kind of deposits people are paying, or expecting to pay to get their name on a new Land Cruiser. I spoke to my usual Toyota dealer here in Canada yesterday, and they are "asking" for deposits of $2500. I personally think that's a bit high for a vehicle that we don't know spec's, pricing, or even anticipated delivery dates on, but I'd like to hear what others are experiencing or hearing. Especially here in Canada.

Welcome to the forum @Skidaddl 🍻.

A $2500 deposit does seem a bit on the high side. I'm #1 on the list at my Toyota dealership, however a deposit hasn't been required yet. My local Lexus dealership required a $1000 deposit on the GX550 to get on the waiting list.

Hello, I'm brand new here and came to see if I could find out what kind of deposits people are paying, or expecting to pay to get their name on a new Land Cruiser. I spoke to my usual Toyota dealer here in Canada yesterday, and they are "asking" for deposits of $2500. I personally think that's a bit high for a vehicle that we don't know spec's, pricing, or even anticipated delivery dates on, but I'd like to hear what others are experiencing or hearing. Especially here in Canada.

Most deposits I see are usually in the $500 range. $2500 seems a bit steep to me!

Welcome to the site!

$1k refundable deposit for me here in Seattle
$2.5k cad is what like $250 usd? ;) seems okay to me tbh!
/s just in case lol

Contacted the 3 closest dealers to me and no one has a list yet. All pretty much said I knew more about the new LC than they did. A little disappointed.

Welcome to the forum @Skidaddl 🍻.

A $2500 deposit does seem a bit on the high side. I'm #1 on the list at my Toyota dealership, however a deposit hasn't been required yet. My local Lexus dealership required a $1000 deposit on the GX550 to get on the waiting list.
Cheers to you too, and thanks for the reply! Yeah, I would be the first in line as well. I have no issue with a small deposit of $1000 or under like your Lexus dealer, then when they have some info for me I'd be willing to increase the amount to an actual "deposit" if all looked good to put an order in. But the way I see it, they're asking for $2500 to be on the waiting list at this point.

Most deposits I see are usually in the $500 range. $2500 seems a bit steep to me!

Welcome to the site!
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the reply. I agree. As I replied elsewhere, that $2500 isn't even a deposit on anything. It's essentially just buying a spot on the waiting list.

Contacted the 3 closest dealers to me and no one has a list yet. All pretty much said I knew more about the new LC than they did. A little disappointed.
Thanks for the reply. It is disappointing. I think those of us who've been anxious for a new Toyota truck generally DO know more than the dealers. I signed up for updates from Toyota on the Tacoma back when doing so was first offered. They're finally emailing me info now that I've already known for a couple months.

No sh%t. 😜 Well...lucky for us, their prices here don't typically reflect the US to Canadian exchange rate. Maybe they juts feel sorry for us cuz it's so damn cold up here!
Oh man am I ever glad they price these vehicles β€˜sanely’ for our market here! & don’t just take the US price & mark it up by the exchange rate. Can I ask which Toyota dealer is asking $2,500 deposit? Or which dealer have you found is good here? I don’t know any of them. Leaning towards Canyon Creek as I live right behind them & can walk home easily after dropping the car for service.

$500. Fully refundable.

I have a better relationship with the local Lexus dealer and I went to the Overland Expo that was up in Loveland Colorado on September 1st. At the Lexus booth and the Toyota booth I gave them my email address to contact me. I received one email from Toyota with an overview and the official release video that I watched live. Since then nothing from Toyota.

Lexus on the other hand I was receiving an email every other day from the local Lexus dealer. 7 emails saying the same thing:

LEXUS: Greetings Karen (my wife's name) Thanks for your interest in our line of products. Please let us know which vehicle you're interested in and I will have a sales associate call you with the details.

The seventh email I responded:

ME: I am the one interested in a new Lexus not my wife. I am interested in the new GX550 planned on next Spring. Before directing me to a sales associate could you please answer these questions for me:
1. Do you have a current waiting list on this vehicle?
2. What deposit do you require?
3. Will you be charging MSRP for this model for people on your waiting list?

If you can answer these questions directly I will be down today with a check. Thanks.

LEXUS: Crickets.

I have a better relationship with the local Lexus dealer and I went to the Overland Expo that was up in Loveland Colorado on September 1st. At the Lexus booth and the Toyota booth I gave them my email address to contact me. I received one email from Toyota with an overview and the official release video that I watched live. Since then nothing from Toyota.

Lexus on the other hand I was receiving an email every other day from the local Lexus dealer. 7 emails saying the same thing:

LEXUS: Greetings Karen (my wife's name) Thanks for your interest in our line of products. Please let us know which vehicle you're interested in and I will have a sales associate call you with the details.

The seventh email I responded:

ME: I am the one interested in a new Lexus not my wife. I am interested in the new GX550 planned on next Spring. Before directing me to a sales associate could you please answer these questions for me:
1. Do you have a current waiting list on this vehicle?
2. What deposit do you require?
3. Will you be charging MSRP for this model for people on your waiting list?

If you can answer these questions directly I will be down today with a check. Thanks.

LEXUS: Crickets.
Wow if I had a lead like you’ve provided them I couldn’t answer your email fast enough!

Located in Denver area. I put a deposit down a month ago for $1500 for the Land Cruiser Trim and am on the "waitlist" for a 1st Ed. Have not gotten any details on spec'ing out the car, no actual orders placed with Toyota yet. Dealer knows nothing about pricing for the trims.

Located in Denver area. I put a deposit down a month ago for $1500 for the Land Cruiser Trim and am on the "waitlist" for a 1st Ed. Have not gotten any details on spec'ing out the car, no actual orders placed with Toyota yet. Dealer knows nothing about pricing for the trims.
Please tell me which dealership. Thanks.

$1000 refundable at Toyota in Yakima, WA area. There are 10 people ahead of me. :oops: But then again, this is off road country here with all the side by sides out here. I put three colors on my paper, and may modify as info continues getting out.

Standard LC edition: Meteor shower, Blue or Underground were my choices.

THREAD UPDATE:

I've gone back to my dealer and told him I'm hearing deposits between $500 - $1000. They have reduced the fee to get on the waiting list to $1000, fully refundable, and I had him do up a deposit agreement stating that I can get the deposit refunded if I'm not happy with price, available options, or delivery terms, once those become available. As others have said, they are not in a position where they can even place orders yet, and they don't have any more information than the rest of us do. I've told him my first choice is Land Cruiser trim level, but may consider First Edition if they can even get one, and if the price is agreeable. They have also written into the deposit agreement that they will transferr my deposit over towards a 2024 Tacoma should I end up deciding to go that route instead.

I went to a dealership where I've bought 3 Toyotas in the past as they are about 40 minutes outside the city (of 1.5 million people), so I believe there will be less demand through them than dealers in the city.

Sales Manager's note to me today: "As of right now, you will still be first in the queue on the Land Cruiser here at our store. Please keep in mind that the order placement is also dependent on what trim level we finalize with and whatever the factory decides to focus production on. Once we get more information on packages and pricing, we will give you call."

Last edited:
Back