Awesome Car and Driver LC FE Suspension Video: New

I just came here to post that. It beat the LX600 and destroyed the bronco. 631 with sway bar disconnect.
Screen Shot 2024-05-13 at 16.31.27 PM.jpeg

You guys are quick on the draw today! Solid numbers for the Land Cruiser!

That’s a sweet video, I like that guy a lot. Doubt I will ever need that much articulation, but cool to have it.

Pro doesn’t have swaybar disconnect.

I’ve owned both versions of 5th gen 4Runner (pro and trail w/ KDSS)… the Fox suspension more than makes up for the shorter suspension travel.
Yah I have a Pro and you’re right the Fox shocks are meant for more high speed vs flexing but was still a little surprised at the numbers.

Fully agree ! Did you see any Land Cruiser in Texas so far?
I got a call for a FE that arrived in San Antonio this past weekend, but I passed on it because they wanted a $20k ADM. Supersix also saw an FE at a dealership in north Austin.

Last edited:
Fully agree ! Did you see any Land Cruiser in Texas so far?
Not yet, no. I know there was a first edition on the lot of Cedar Park Toyota. I imagine it will be the same with all trims and Gulf State will have some 1958s on lots in early June and probably Land Cruiser trims in late June/early July.

With the sway bar disconnected, that front tire is really stuffed in the wheel well. It doesn't look like there is too much room for a bigger tire if you want to maximize your suspension's full potential.

With the sway bar disconnected, that front tire is really stuffed in the wheel well. It doesn't look like there is too much room for a bigger tire if you want to maximize your suspension's full potential.
That is what I’ve been trying to say and in some of the tire threads. You could probably put a 285 on there but you are gonna get a lot of rubbing with full articulation. For off Roading I would probably stay with the 265 without a lift. But as we know, most won’t be hard-core offloading.

I'm wondering if the 1958 uses a smaller diameter sway bar, or if we can expect similar articulation numbers to LC trim with sway bar connected.

I'm wondering if the 1958 uses a smaller diameter sway bar, or if we can expect similar articulation numbers to LC trim with sway bar connected.
That's a good point. With the front sway bar disconnect (standard on the Land Cruiser grade and First Edition), Toyota certainly had the opportunity to not compromise the front sway bar diameter (run a larger diameter front sway bar). It would be interesting to compare the measurement on an LC 1958 (with 265 tires fittedβ€”the tire size on the LC grade and FE) to the measurement in the video (the measurement with the sway bar connected).

While not totally conclusive, since the ID of the bushing could be a different size, the bracket that holds the front sway bar bushing is common between the versions with SDM and without SDM. The rear swaybar is common between the models with and without SDM, I'm going to guess that the swaybar diameter is common.

Back