Adding/removing roof rails

Draper

📛 Founding Member
May 7, 2024
Denver, CO
Vehicles
Porsche Macan Turbo, BMW M4 Comp
The 1958 doesn't come with roof rails, but the other 2 trims do.

Is there a difference between the roofs on the 3 models? Can the roof rails (or roof rack on the FE) be removed without irreversible modifications?

I don't have a use for roof rails/racks, and it definitely looks cleaner without them.

1958.jpg
LC.jpg

My guess is the channels for the roof rails are made the same for all three models. The only difference will be the 1958 has one continuous strip that fills the channels (usually black plastic like trim). On the other two models would have maybe four separate strips with room for the rail legs that connect into the channels.

Guessing as I went rail-less on my 2002 WRX wagon and I just needed to buy the one piece channel trim that went on the standard Impreza wagons that had no roof rails.

Hopefully you will be able to hook up with new LC owners that will want to swap your roof rails for their rail-less set-up. I have a rail-less 1958 reserved and I may want to with for rails eventually.

This is the closest shot of the roof rails I've been able to find. Definitely looks like a black rubber strip in a channel.

It looks like the 1958 trim also has the black strips.

Hopefully this means the rails can be easily removed (or added) as desired.

2024-land-cruiser-prado-toyota-e8zkn0buo3bvvs947.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 1.12.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 1.14.04 PM.png

I think you are correct but just a FYI you will need to pull down the headliner to get at the hardware to remove the rails. Just a guess but an educated one as that job was not fun on my WRX. lol

On the current Sequoia it looks like it can all be done externally. Maybe the LC is similar?

4Runner is done from the outside as well.. that is unless the inner nut weld breaks.

I guess the big remaining question is whether or not the 1958 trims have the rail mounts hidden under the rubber strips.

That's an excellent point! I hope you are right.

For 4runners there is a delete kit for the roof rails if you want to remove them. I would not be surprised if the 1958 has the kit already installed as they all arrive in Port with no roof rails or racks. Also, at least on the 4runners, they make it so you don’t have to remove the headliner to remove the roof rails or install the roof rails.

I'll have to wait and see, but I don't think I like the FE basket as well as the FC rails. I really don't see where I'll ever strap anything to the top.

Back