2027 Land Cruiser 250 off-road modifications

hockeye007

New member
Joined
Sep 28, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver CO
Hello all,
I am planning to trade-in my 2023 Ford Bronco Sasquatch to a 2027 Land Crusier 250. The build that I am getting has 20" inch alloy wheels that has been added as a package which I didn't want but it's what it is. Do I need to again swap those 20s for some 18s and replace the factory tires with some KO3s or Falkan for off-roading? Or does the factory tires support regular off-roading with the 20s?
Also, do the running boards take away ground clearance?

Features:
Stabilizer Disconnect Mechanism
Skid plate package
 
Hello all,
I am planning to trade-in my 2023 Ford Bronco Sasquatch to a 2027 Land Crusier 250. The build that I am getting has 20" inch alloy wheels that has been added as a package which I didn't want but it's what it is. Do I need to again swap those 20s for some 18s and replace the factory tires with some KO3s or Falkan for off-roading? Or does the factory tires support regular off-roading with the 20s?
Also, do the running boards take away ground clearance?

Features:
Stabilizer Disconnect Mechanism
Skid plate package
I have 18" and the running boards. You're always better off with more sidewall offroad, if nothing else for comfort on washboard as you probably know. The running boards are quite tough. Havent damaged mine yet doing moderate trails. I scraped over this and nothing was damaged.
Screenshot_20260928_191920_Messages.webp
 
This topic has a ton of discussion here on the forums, so there’s lots of knowledge available! To answer your question in short, more sidewall is always better off-road. Whether you “need” it is very relative to your driving habits and terrains. You’re definitely limiting your capability on 20” wheels, but you’re starting from a high bar: the truck is massively capable (perhaps not as much so as the Sasquatch) 100% stock.

The running boards don’t affect your clearance, but they offer zero protection to the one of the most vulnerable parts of the vehicle.
 
All of these topics have varying degrees of answers via the search bar. The tire discussion in particular has been discussed ad nauseam.

Many do moderate off-roading on the stock tires. Opinions will be divided on the capabilities of 20” wheels vs. 18s. It’s just a choice. You didn’t mention the other obvious alternative though: AT tires on the 20” wheels. Plussed up to a 275/60 is a legit option.

Yes, running boards present a drag/collision point you will need to account for when picking your lines. They will not be your anchor on level suspension, but if compressing and drooping for a chosen line they can become the low point of concern.
 
Congrats - your new LC will be an incredible off road vehicle in stock form. Your question all depends on your definition of off-roading, which potentially is different from someone else’s.

20” rim w/ 275/60R20 is 33” tall & that is very good package for fire trails, BLM trails, & general off road. If you’re doing serious off roading - rock climbing, or lowering tire pressures for traction - an 18” rim with a larger sidewall tire would be a much better path. You’ll lose a bit of acceleration & braking performance going beyond a 33” tire, & possibly some MPG. Take your time & have fun doing your mods!

Lots of knowledge on the forum. Enjoy!
 
I would start with a slightly upsized 20" AT on stock wheels. I suspect you'll actually be quite happy there if this is a dual-duty rig and not a dedicated off-roader.
 
Congrats - your new LC will be an incredible off road vehicle in stock form. Your question all depends on your definition of off-roading, which potentially is different from someone else’s.

20” rim w/ 275/60R20 is 33” tall & that is very good package for fire trails, BLM trails, & general off road. If you’re doing serious off roading - rock climbing, or lowering tire pressures for traction - an 18” rim with a larger sidewall tire would be a much better path. You’ll lose a bit of acceleration & braking performance going beyond a 33” tire, & possibly some MPG. Take your time & have fun doing your mods!

Lots of knowledge on the forum. Enjoy!
Thanks. I am looking to do trails which are rated 4-6 maybe 7. I have watched some videos where a stock LC handled this without any issues. But I want to be on the safer side and replace/go with 18" wheels and 33" off-road capable tires.
The dealership is suggesting a lift which I don't see is required, or do I need the lift?
 
Thanks. I am looking to do trails which are rated 4-6 maybe 7. I have watched some videos where a stock LC handled this without any issues. But I want to be on the safer side and replace/go with 18" wheels and 33" off-road capable tires.
The dealership is suggesting a lift which I don't see is required, or do I need the lift?
Bigger tires are the only way to "lift" everything :) You don't need a lift for moderate trails and 33's. If you find a need for more ground clearance or if the terrain is particularly rocky, then you can re-evaluate.
 
my 2 cents and my strategy for myself after some careful reviews.. the 20" rims looks good, tires so so and they are ok for winter season.. so I would use them and bang the hell out of them for this winter to learn and enjoy your reg.. get ready to change sometime before time.. your tires for now will be the least to worry about for serious off-roading given the ground clearance, plastic air-dams and the very low spare tire.. you will not serious off-roading that will force you to change tires right away

then when the time comes,, you may keep those as spare/winter or sell them

buy new tires with new rims that will be your final setup.. I often see people go to 275's or 285's depending on the stance you like and if you want to be border line or safe for no rubbing during articulate and sway bar disconnect both fits Ok but 285s are a bit tricky depending on brand and wheel offset

I personally decided to keep the rims (I like them) and will just switch the fires to Toyo open country AT3 (light and look and function well for my needs, aware the sides are not strong enough but I am not going to need then for rocks anyways)

I feel the 20" with some soft AT tires will give me the best of both words (highway 95% and some conference if I need to dirt road, some winter fun and some sand dunes but nothing serious)

I came from BF Goodrich 35" MT running on Deadlock rims on 2.5" lifted rubicon that was never used for its build purpose other than the looks and the very bad MPG

so pick whats right for your needs.. modifying too much means you must give up somewhere else (comfort, MPG, or a bad ride)
 
I would highly recommend if you're doing trails rated 5 and up that you get frame mounted rock sliders. The potential for body damage and the cost to repair it on those level trails far exceeds the cost of a good set of frame mounted sliders.

Clearance will be your biggest hurdle wherever you go on those level trails on this platform. All that said unless you have allot of offroad experience and knowledge of lifts and lifted vehicles I'd go out an try it at stock height before deciding on whether or not you need/want a lift.
 
Going those 4 and up trails consider the first thing you do is the slee Off Road radiator front cross member just to be on the safe side. Then figure your tires and wheels from the suggestions here.
I went mild with 285-70-17 KO3 and Method 318 +20 offset. I have a peak 1.25 spacer installed in the front that doesn't affect suspension articulation and will
Allow me to go with a 34 inch pizza cutter tire combo next time. Really like this combo a lot

 
Supporting Vendors View all →
StickerFab
Back
Top Bottom