Who is paying over MSRP?

Took 2 months calling 30 different dealers to find a LC at MSRP, nabbed the allocation with a deposit. Had an agreed upon price sheet signed by the manager (taxes, fees, everything). I believe the dealer told me they'd had gotten the allocation the night before, so it really shows how on top of things you have to be. Smartpath on Toyota's Inventory system is your best friend until demand starts to weaken later in the year.

This was for a Mid-Level Trim with Premium Package.

Took 2 months calling 30 different dealers to find a LC at MSRP, nabbed the allocation with a deposit. Had an agreed upon price sheet signed by the manager (taxes, fees, everything). I believe the dealer told me they'd had gotten the allocation the night before, so it really shows how on top of things you have to be. Smartpath on Toyota's Inventory system is your best friend until demand starts to weaken later in the year.

This was for a Mid-Level Trim with Premium Package.
Same as my friend above. I called and there was 1 unallocated middle grade LC left. Have to be diligent and sort of lucky! But it will probably get easier as time goes on

Pretty sure that every dealer in Fl will be selling over MSRP. You see they get lots of buyers from Venezuela that pay cash and over MSRP, no questions asked, in no time those things are loaded into a shipping container and off they go. They need to launder their money somehow, someway, buying Tacomas, Tundras, 4Runners and now LC’s will be the way.

Quite a few dealers around me want a $1500 non refundable deposit. I didn't need to ask any more questions since most were still are asking $5 or more on 2024 4R TRD Pros.

Quite a few dealers around me want a $1500 non refundable deposit. I didn't need to ask any more questions since most were still are asking $5 or more on 2024 4R TRD Pros.
Deposit fair for MSRP sale but to also go over MSRP is f'ed up.

Same as my friend above. I called and there was 1 unallocated middle grade LC left. Have to be diligent and sort of lucky! But it will probably get easier as time goes on
Sounds like we have more people paying msrp than over msrp.

At this point I assume that if you see a LC listed or if it shows up on Smart Path it is a $5K mark up. In KC it seems like dealers who are selling at MSRP are selling these almost as soon as they get the allocation and dealers who are charging a big mark up are seeing slots stay open. I'm not paying over MSRP, but in the dealer's defense you really aren't missing out on anything by trying to charge a mark up when you won't even have the vehicle delivered until July.
True. Try to charge more until they can’t.

There are at least three dealers in the NorCal selling FEs at MSRP. I've been contacted twice about black FEs without buyers but wasn't interested -- seems like they got a lot of black ones?
I was speaking to a dealer on the phone here in the Northeast (Boston area) and he actually pulled up in his computer the FE allocations. He told me that 'It looks like most of the FEs are black, next he thought trail dust, then some blue etc.' - he was scrolling down thru the list of what was built. They based allocation on how many LCs the dealer has sold within a certain lookback period. According to an article I read, the majority of them went to the southern states (Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana etc.). Up here in New England - it looks like they allocated each dealer 1 FE. Every dealer in the Boston area suddenly had an add up online for people to buy one using list price - but every dealer I called already had it allocated so basically they were using their 1 allocated unit as click bate to get you to notice them. I actually found one in Connecticut (2.5 hours from my house in Mass) only because I called a dealer who had an honest add where they had a unit listed at $10K over list. I talked them down to $5K over list - wasn't hard and jumped from 9th in line for 5K over list at my local dealer to having a down payment on a FE at $5K over list in CONN. I am lucky enough that the $5K wasn't a deal breaker and I really wanted it for summer. I am trading in a Mercedes E350 and i think if I have to wait 4-6 months to trade it in its gonna cost me $2-3K in deferred maintenance :) Good luck everyone!

$69,845 including delivery on an LC with premium package. No markup at my dealer. Said June/July arrival. I'm guessing a little sooner.

Dealer previously marked up their vehicles and told me that they no longer were doing that. I think they had some inventory sit recently and decided to go for volume rather than ripping heads of one at a time. IDK...either way, it feels good to know I'm not walking into a negotiation. I have my VSpec with the price and that's what I'm paying.

Yeah, smartpath showed an available meteor shower FE (my color preference, along with the round headlights I want, although I would rather get a 1958), and had it listed at TSRP at a big dealership in San Antonio. I called and of course they have a list of 25 people, want a $1,000 deposit, and are actually marking it up $5K. So, nope. I also talked to the sales manager at the dealership where I am third on the list (behind two owners) and he said he thought they would only get one FE and the two owners could fight over it. Don’t know how long a wait it will be for a 1958, as it seems the FEs will all be immediately spoken for, but I am guessing June at the earliest. Seems like most folks prefer the round headlights. Odd to me that they don’t have them as options on the LC trim, it would probably be the differentiator for me. I plan on getting a 1958 and driving it stock until the tires are shot, then upgrading. No sense to me in immediately changing tires after paying that much for a vehicle but I also live in central Texas and don’t do much more aggressive than driving up gravel roads on hills and across fields with mesquite. A brush guard will likely be an early purchase though.

Deposit fair for MSRP sale but to also go over MSRP is f'ed up.
My problem is the non refundable deposit, especially on a vehicle that most have never driven or even sat in. Especially on a popular model that you know someone else will be in line to buy.

My problem is the non refundable deposit, especially on a vehicle that most have never driven or even sat in. Especially on a popular model that you know someone else will be in line to buy.
in my state, you non-refundable deposits are not a thing...dealers have to honor the customer wanting to back out and giving them money back, if they receive no goods

They told me 1.5 year wait time. I was like no thanks.
Toyota of Renton, WA has 2 LC trims on allocation with a $10K markup over TSRP. I said no thanks. Will not be doing business with them. Greed....

Corwin Toyota in Boulder CO just got back to me. They have a LC Premium that is unsold and advertised on their website at MSRP but in reality they require a $1k non-refundable deposit and there is a $10k markup. Wonder why it is unsold haha.

I received 2 emails today from 2 different dealers - a black first edition with $7.5k ADM, and a heritage blue Land Cruiser with premium package with $5k ADM. turned down both. Won’t Land Cruiser trims be as dime a dozen as Camry’s in couple months?

I received 2 emails today from 2 different dealers - a black first edition with $7.5k ADM, and a heritage blue Land Cruiser with premium package with $5k ADM. turned down both. Won’t Land Cruiser trims be as dime a dozen as Camry’s in couple months?
6 months tops is my guess. With the 4runner releasing and the Land Cruiser premium being priced a little too close to the GX 550 overtrail the ADMs can't last.

$69,845 including delivery on an LC with premium package. No markup at my dealer. Said June/July arrival. I'm guessing a little sooner.

Dealer previously marked up their vehicles and told me that they no longer were doing that. I think they had some inventory sit recently and decided to go for volume rather than ripping heads of one at a time. IDK...either way, it feels good to know I'm not walking into a negotiation. I have my VSpec with the price and that's what I'm paying.
Congrats! I hope more dealers are going to do that soon.

I do hope so. Right now dealers are just taking advantage of buyer where they can.

Just got word from someone that is pretty well connected to the owner of a dealer in Miami. They will be selling GX and LC north of $100k for clients in Venezuela.

Back in 2015 I wanted to buy a 4Runner TRD Pro Quicksand color…impossible to find back then. At least in Miami they were at dealers with SOLD signs, all of them going out the states going…yes, to Venezuela.

I guess will be thru the same thing now.

Back