2024 deliveries LC250 vs Cybertruck

Tesla's battery pack has too many cells. I can't understand why Tesla would use stainless steel body panels with obsolete battery technology. It’s not clear to me who will be making replacement Tesla battery packs in 10 years.

While I personally have zero interest in owning a Cybertruck or any EV for that matter, the Cybertruck comes with their new 4680 battery cell from the Texas factory. You would be hard pressed to find a better mass produced EV battery from a price/performance aspect.

Have a look when you have a moment. It was a problem the wheels are round .... they had to do something with those caps :rolleyes:

This one is really funny to watch

Cammisa is the best! If they really have Cybertruck production figured out then they could start stamping them out fast! I'm a lot more excited about the Cybertruck now than I was before all these great reviews.

Where I live, EV's are not a practical solution unless you're strictly an urbanite with a heated garage (coincidentally the target market for this truck)
EV’s definitely aren’t the answer here. Six months of winter makes them a non-starter to begin with. Plus it’s not hard to be a couple hours from the nearest charger (which I understand may or may not be working). Drivers need to be able to charge them at home, which unless you live in single family housing, isn’t likely. Even my single family home needs 5 figures of rewiring to make the garage suitable for a charger, not uncommon in older homes. Not impossible in the length of time I plan to live here, not possible in the length of time for my next car.

Hybrids like the LC seem to be the best of both worlds. Pure EV’s aren’t suitable enough that my Ford dealer can hardly sell their allotment of Lightnings. I’m not sure who the target market is for Tesla’s ‘truck’. The venn diagram of EV buyers & truck buyers already hardly overlaps. Make it look like something the lead designer’s kindergartener drew & I have no idea. Apparently there’s enough deposits on it though to sell out for years.

I do not agree, most people live in single family housing or row house or duplex, which means they can charge at home.

Then most families in North America have at least two cars. Long winter is not such a big issue. A second car EV is a great idea especially in Canada where gas is much more expensive. There are deals from energy suppliers for EV owners, there are special rates during the night.... lot of incentives if you study BEFORE you buy it. There are FREE chargers !

I do not agree, most people live in single family housing or row house or duplex, which means they can charge at home.

Then most families in North America have at least two cars. Long winter is not such a big issue. A second car EV is a great idea especially in Canada where gas is much more expensive. There are deals from energy suppliers for EV owners, there are special rates during the night.... lot of incentives if you study BEFORE you buy it. There are FREE chargers !
You can't apply statistics for the US to Canada in any meaningful way - especially with regards to EV viability. The US has 10 times our population and slightly less area, plus there's a HUGE climatic difference.

I did not apply US statistics to Canada nor the weather (which in US is so much different from one state to the other).
What percentage of canadians can charge an EV at home ?
Do you know the EV percentage in Norway ?

Last edited:
It's largely a lifestyle thing too. I live in a neighbourhood built in the 60's of single family homes where almost everyone has a double detached garage. However, the front street has at least one vehicle parked out front of each home because most people's garages are full of other things so can't fit their cars in there. And running EV power in there is very costly because you'd have to trench from your house to your garage - usually under a sidewalk or deck of some sort. Therefore, people are largely just not making the effort. The Ford dealer near me has had a sign out front for months offering $10,000 off any F150 EV. They're just not selling as expected.

Even with a fully loaded garage it is possible to charge outside, using just an extension cord. At low power during the night. Zero investment, better for the battery lifetime.

I do not know if a flexible tariff is available but anyhow the "fuel" will cost you less than $5 CAD/100km or 0.08CAD/mile.

regarding the EPA ratings:

But of course with that amount of power the Cybertruck efficiency can be unlimited poor. I look forward to see a test at 70mph on the highway.

It's largely a lifestyle thing too. I live in a neighbourhood built in the 60's of single family homes where almost everyone has a double detached garage. However, the front street has at least one vehicle parked out front of each home because most people's garages are full of other things so can't fit their cars in there. And running EV power in there is very costly because you'd have to trench from your house to your garage - usually under a sidewalk or deck of some sort. Therefore, people are largely just not making the effort. The Ford dealer near me has had a sign out front for months offering $10,000 off any F150 EV. They're just not selling as expected.
Your situation is much like mine. 60s/70s single family homes with back alley double detached garages. So what people do if you want to make the investment is bring alley pole power into the garage with a main panel there, then trench in to the house & have a sub panel run off that. Absolutely should be done as part of a major house overhaul just to clean things up over the overhead power lines to the house & the garage run off a glorified extension cord from the house. The way things were done then, but the garage is maxed out with an opener, a light bulb, & an outlet with a radio plugged in. But it’s a 5 figure endeavor From anything I’ve read & heard, so not something most are planning for unless it’s part of a pretty major home reno.

Now they do say that a normal 120V circuit is enough to slow charge an electric overnight. I’m still not convinced that would make full electric viable for many use cases. For me I have just one car so it has to do everything. Having a 2nd city car on the road would most definitely not pay off in any kind of fuel savings. Never say never, but from where I’m sitting I just don’t see a path to where full electric is the answer.

Yup. Lightnings as far as the eye, or at least the camera, can see. In a city where it seems all anybody drives is F150’s, the electric version good as it might be for an electric, is still too limiting to meet most people’s needs. I remain quite convinced with Toyota’s electrification philosophy. Hybrid all the things. I’ve always thought some form of hybridization would eventually come to all cars, and it is, but that’s taken 20 years. I suppose if it takes another 20 years for full electric to make sense, that’s not so far into the future. I’ll plan for it when it comes time to fully gut my house.
1702831368808.jpeg

If the EV is the only car it is an adventure. But I know few people driving their Tesla everyday and anywhere. Probably many Cybertruck owners will do the same.

Your situation is much like mine. 60s/70s single family homes with back alley double detached garages. So what people do if you want to make the investment is bring alley pole power into the garage with a main panel there, then trench in to the house & have a sub panel run off that. Absolutely should be done as part of a major house overhaul just to clean things up over the overhead power lines to the house & the garage run off a glorified extension cord from the house. The way things were done then, but the garage is maxed out with an opener, a light bulb, & an outlet with a radio plugged in. But it’s a 5 figure endeavor From anything I’ve read & heard, so not something most are planning for unless it’s part of a pretty major home reno.

Now they do say that a normal 120V circuit is enough to slow charge an electric overnight. I’m still not convinced that would make full electric viable for many use cases. For me I have just one car so it has to do everything. Having a 2nd city car on the road would most definitely not pay off in any kind of fuel savings. Never say never, but from where I’m sitting I just don’t see a path to where full electric is the answer.

Yup. Lightnings as far as the eye, or at least the camera, can see. In a city where it seems all anybody drives is F150’s, the electric version good as it might be for an electric, is still too limiting to meet most people’s needs. I remain quite convinced with Toyota’s electrification philosophy. Hybrid all the things. I’ve always thought some form of hybridization would eventually come to all cars, and it is, but that’s taken 20 years. I suppose if it takes another 20 years for full electric to make sense, that’s not so far into the future. I’ll plan for it when it comes time to fully gut my house.
View attachment 620
Yes to all of this. I'm actually in the reno business so can concur with first hand knowledge. And I also agree with Toyota's strategy, and their statement that hybrid is more environmentally friendly (not to mention humanitarian) than full-on EV in many parts of the world. Seems GM is also reconsidering their EV strategy. From where I sit, the more the EV roll-out continues, the more its viability comes into question.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE
So far most EV buyers did not consider the "fuel efficiency" and the energy cost. But more and more new buyers will do it.

Here is the EPA ratings for the electric trucks. In my opinion all of them are incredibly good. It is hard to believe that Rivian can do 151 Wh/mile. Then 278 Wh/mile for the Cybertruck at 70mph, it is unbelievable too.

What is interesting for sure is the efficiency gap between 50 and 70mph. Sometimes slowing down your EV can get you home earlier ! :rolleyes:

Back